Imagine you have the opportunity to champion a transformative change in your organisation. Resources are not a problem; leaders are supportive of the change and you have a great team to work with. You scout for the most reputable consultant to facilitate the change using a recognised model. But alas, when it comes to implementation, you are on your own. Everyone goes back to “doing things the way they have always been done”. You watch helplessly as your “must do” project joins hundreds of others in the organisation’s must do’ graveyard. You struggle to understand how others fail to recognise the brilliance of the ‘solution’ and the benefits it would bring to the organisation.
You are not alone. Every day, individuals, teams, and organisations watch helplessly as change movements and projects aimed at ‘solving’ chronic issues and dilemmas fail to take off, and efforts to keep them alive fall flat on their faces – not because they are not managed well, but because they are approached with a problem-solving lens.
Not all issues are ‘problems’ to solved. Most ongoing chronic issues in the organisation are polarities to manage. They are paradoxical in nature meaning they show up as interdependent pairs that need each other over time to maintain and gain performance. Seeing one without the other means you only know half the picture. For example, Transformation cannot exist without Continuity, Health cannot exist without Economy, Work goes along with Life Balance, Decentralisation cannot succeed without Centralisation, the Self can only exist in relation to Others, Mergers will fail if you do not see and leverage the two cultures involved, and so on.
Managing Polarities requires a different paradigm around leveraging through BOTH/AND (polarity) thinking, i.e.:
• the wisdom to see the whole picture and differentiate between a solvable problem and a polarity to manage
• the ability to recognise the inherent tensions between the two poles of a polarity, and
• the ability to leverage the energy between the poles.
The Polarity Approach to Continuity and Transformation (PACT™) Certification program has been designed to help build your competencies on how to discover and leverage your most strategic Polarities (AKA paradox, wicked problems/VUCA, chronic tensions, dilemmas, etc.) to become more innovative, agile, profitable and competitive immediately and over time.
PACTTM is a dynamic five-step Certification Program delivered by BSEA in partnership with Polarity Partnerships (USA). It is designed for leaders, coaches, consultants, managers, and individuals facing complex challenges in their organisations so you can do what you do faster, better and with increased sustainability . The program:
- Equips you to deal successfully with polarities – interdependent forces that create tension in complex situations. You will learn to see and manage complex and critical challenges that all leaders, teams, and organisational systems face.
- Helps you to See the whole, Map and Transform the energy contained in polarities
- Explore how polarities may help you to better understand the issues and opportunities you’re facing right now, both those inside and outside your organisation
- Helps you to think through the polarities that will provide the greatest leverage in achieving your desired results
You will be able to use Polarity Thinking™ concepts, practices and tools (including the Polarity Map® and the Polarity Assessment™) and gain experience managing polarities in your organisation.
The PACT™ Process of Seeing, Mapping, Assessing, Learning and Leveraging is applicable to all polarities.